Thursday, February 24, 2011

My Little Pouty Face

Sometimes saying no can be a fun thing to do as a parent. For those of you that may not know, we have 5 girls and 1 boy. Our youngest daughter, Hattie, is 15 months old as I write this. She is a pretty smart cookie and like most little people, she has her own bag of tricks to get things she wants. I was trying to work on the computer the other day to get our taxes completed. She had climbed up in my chair and was babbling to me about something that needed my attention right away. I pleaded with her to just sit on Mommy's lap, but she was grabbing at me and banging on the computer. So eventually I sat her directly on the floor. She was protesting in her best toddler ways by holding her feet up and squealing with such anguish as I tried to get her to stand and run off to play. I told her to go find her toy, sippy cup or anyone else so I could finish the taxes. As soon as I sit her down she pulls over the diaper bag, stepps up on it, climbs back on my lap and starts pulling my arm from the paperwork in my hand so she can sit in the middle of my lap. At this point I am aggravated because I am so close to being finished. As I try to concentrate on not getting audited, she starts crying, loudly....very loudly. Now, I try to remember that she is the newest one to the family and is still learning that the more you cry, the less there is a chance that you will ever get what you want in this family when she acts like this. And as I am reminding myself, she pulls out her secret weapon....the little pouty face! Oh Man! She's a sneaky little booger! I did NOT see that coming! In the middle of her screaming, she stops, cocks her head, pouts out her lip and bats her eyes. My aggravation is instantly replaced with a belly laugh that I cannot control. I put down the paperwork and adjust her little stubby body to the middle of my lap looking face to face. She giggles. I giggle. As I start to move a bit, she stops giggling and hits me with it again....the pouty face. I cannot help but laugh. This little goober has realized that her look just might work to get what she wants. Every time I move or say, "Time to get down," she does it again. HILARIOUS! I sure hope I can find a way to counter this weapon of whining or I might be in real trouble! But for now, its making saying no, fun. :)   

1 comment: